Technology is changing rapidly. New ideas, new terms and new devices are emerging almost on a daily basis. While everyone has difficulty keeping up with these rapid changes, elderly people perhaps find the challenge greater.
The purpose of this workshop is to introduce essential terms and ideas associated with technology. IEDF volunteers will guide participants in doing specific tasks on their laptops, tablets and smartphones.
Technology is not to be feared. With practice and patience, you can become comfortable with your smartphones and laptops.
Workshop will be tailored to the needs of participants. It will be delivered over multiple sessions, each session lasting 90 minutes.
Understand the Web/Cloud. Use of smartphones and tablets. Download and install apps. Google for information. Entertainment apps. Communication apps. Protect yourself from hackers.
Though meant for senior citizens, anyone above 50 can attend this workshop. The workshop will be in English. If you don't know English, let us know in advance and we will do our best to arrange a volunteer who speaks your mother tongue.
Participants are required to bring their own devices. These can be Android or Apple devices, or Windows laptops.
If there is no broadband Wi-Fi at the venue, we will share in advance a list of apps to install before coming.
We will arrange for a limited Internet connection during the workshop, which can be used for the exercises but not for downloading apps.
The following content covers smartphones, tablets and laptops. Please note that this is only a tentative content. This will be customized based on the needs of the audience. For example, specific exercises may include latest news, sports results, weather reports, train routes, stock prices, currency rates, gold prices, pill reminders, world clocks, ebooks, to-do lists, and so on.
- Technology Basics
- Understand Internet, Web and Cloud
- Understand smartphones, tablets and laptops
- Understand Android, Apple and Windows
- Understand fibre, Wi-Fi and cellular
- Browser Tasks
- Understand Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome and Firefox
- Manage bookmarks for easy access
- Google for information
- Find locations and directions with Google Maps
- Access government services online
- Do a voice search using Google Now
- Improve webpage readability
- Common Tasks
- Access contacts while on a live call
- Transfer photos from smartphone to laptop
- Copy files from/to pen drive
- Install apps on your smartphone
- Create desktop launchers and widgets
- Manage your appointments
- Communication Apps
- Use WhatsApp effectively
- Use Facebook effectively
- Send and receive emails
- Send and receive attachments in emails
- Understand streaming and downloading
- Watch YouTube videos
- Listen to MP3 songs
- Games for the elderly
- Privacy and Security
- Create safe passwords
- Keep your device updated
- Recognize possible threats and viruses
- Install anti-virus app
- Report spam in emails
- Tell if the website is safe
- Use virtual keyboards
Trainers & Contributors